Assignments 5 & 6: The expectations and Grading

by Mike Gleicher on March 14, 2013

Here is what I expect you to do for Assignment 5 and 6:

1. There was an initial checkpoint on 3/1
  2. You had to do a peer evaluation on March 8th. Everyone did (to different levels of quality). I think I have “grades” for these in Moodle. (this is graded notable/acceptable/minimal).
  3. You had to turn in the assignment as a group to Moodle on 3/8. I believe everyone has – but I have not looked at them (yet)
  4. You had to give me some ideas about what you were going to do for Assignment 6. Most people did – and I have responded.
  5. There will be a checkpoint on Friday, March 15. This will be notable/acceptable/minimal graded.
  6. On the 22nd, you will turn in your project and write up. This will be graded. I haven’t figured out the logistics of demos. Probably what will happen is that you will turn in your project, but we’ll do a demo after break (you’ll have to promise not to work on it after you turn it in).
  7. We’ll do the peer evaluations again, but we’ll probably do this after break.
  8. After break, I will ask you to write a “post-mortem” (self-evaluation, and evaluation of your partner)

Some notes on the project:

• You will receive a grade for Assignment 5. However, we will also evaluate how well your project does the “Phase 1” requirements at the end of phase 2. So if you didn’t get things working for Phase 1, make sure they are working for phase 2. The phase 1 requirements count twice. (once for assignment 5 and once for assignment 6).
  • I will evaluate your project from the documentation you turn in (and trying to sort it out from the peer evaluations) and from a demo at the end.
  • The peer reviews are evaluated (e.g. how good your writeup was). Your self-evaluation will be assessed.

Grading

• You will get one grade overall for the whole of Assignment 5/6.
  • The rough breakdown of weights (this may be adjusted for exceptional cases):
    • 15% What your program did for the March 5 handin
    • 15% How well your program meets the requirements at the time of the final handin. (note: this should be at least as good as #1, since things only gotten better)
    • 30% The quality of your phase 2 result (the system you built, your demos, …)
    • 10% Your writeup for the March 5 handin
    • 10% Your final writeup
    • 10% Your “other stuff” (peer evals, self-evals, checking the checkpoints)
    • 10% discretionary (pick from the best of the above)

Previous post:

Next post: