This week we will talk about one of the biggest challenges in visualization: dealing with scale. What happens when you have “too much” (data, complexity, …). Our focus will be on learning about general strategies for dealing with scale.
Lectures will integrate some design exercises to understand the choices, as well as some discussion of comparison as a strategy for thinking about visualizations.
- The Week in Vis: Week 06
- Class: Too Much Stuff 1 (Mon, Oct 11)
- Class: Too Much Stuff 2 (Wed, Oct 13)
- Readings 06: Scale
- Design Exercise 3 (Canvas Mon, Oct 11)
- Online Discussion 06 (due Wed, Oct 13)
- Seek and Find 06 (due Fri, Oct 15)
- End of Week Survey 06 (due Fri, Oct 15)
- DC1 Handin (Canvas Mon, Oct 18)
For this week, we will not talk about “too many dimensions” (which is part of scale) - we’ll save that challenge for next week.