The Week in Vis 12 (Mon, Nov 19 – Fri, Nov 23): 3D

by Mike Gleicher on November 16, 2018

Class Meetings
  • Mon, Nov 19 – Lecture:3D
  • Wed, Nov 21 – DC3 and Assorted Topics
  • Fri, Nov 23 – No Class:Thanksgiving
Week Deadlines

Last week, we took a detour and talked about dealing with high dimensional data. I didn’t get through everything (I wanted to say more about how to look at embeddings, and show some examples of how to work with them). Maybe I’ll bring those back – it’s a favorite topic of mine.

We also had the demo session for DC2. Thanks to all who participated!

The topics you may have expected to hear about – uncertainty visualization and visualizing models (such as machine learning) we’ll get to later in the semester.

Next week is Thanksgiving week. I understand that many people travel for the holidays. If you miss class Wednesday, be sure to talk to someone who doesn’t. Note that the usual discussion and seek and find are happening, so you may want to do it before you leave for the holidays (if you’re leaving).

On Monday, I’ll talk about 3D – which could be a whole course unto itself. There is so much to talk about. We’ll be focusing on the perceptual issues.

On Wednesday, I expect it to be a grab back. I suspect there will be more 3D stuff to wrap up. I was toying with talking a bit about Computer Graphics (how computers draw 3D fast), but instead I might talk more about embeddings since there’s so much more to say. But, the biggest thing is that I plan to discuss Design Challenge 3 a bit.

Graphs were moved to the week after Thanksgiving.

You may want to look at this week’s learning goals Learning Goals 12: Week 12 – 3D.

Readings (due Mon, Nov 19 – preferably before class)

It’s hard to know where to start. But for required readings, we’ll focus on the perceptual issues.

Optional

More resources on these topics are on the readings page from 2 years ago. All of the links should work for you, except for the Illustration handbook (which may be my favorite):

This is a chapter of the “Guild Handbook of Illustration” that helps illustrators learn to convey 3D shape in their drawings. A lot of it is about how to think about how light helps you perceive shape (and it does so with fabulous examples). When they start talking about the actual techniques (like how to use charcoal to make the pictures), it’s a little less interesting.

Previous post:

Next post: