Feedback

by Mike Gleicher on March 14, 2012

(I refer to Michael the TA as MC to differentiate from MG)

After an admittedly long delay, we will finally be providing you with some feedback about how you are doing in class. A note on our expectations is here.

You will each receive an email from MC with the following.

Subjective Feedback on “Participation” (in class):

This is purely subjective – and it conflates several things. If you hide in the back of the class, that may not seem any different to me than someone who isn’t there. In fact, if I am aware that you’re not there, that might be a positive sign because your contributions to class are so valuable that I notice when they are missing. Even just normally sitting towards the front so I am aware of your presence. And I might even be mixing in some of my thoughts about your online contributions to the mix.

I’ve put things on a 1-5 scale (1=not good, 5=someone who really contributes a lot). I’d say the margin of error is +/- 2. The categories are things like “contributor” or “occassional contributor” …

MC may also provide some rough quantitative data on how often you are actually in class, but this is being kept mainly to check for bad discrepancies with the subjective info (this check will be done at the end of the semester, I haven’t done the correction yet).

Feedback on online participation

You will get a quantitative score (how much did you actually turn in) as as well as a qualitative score (spot checking – did you make meaningful posts).

The initial seek-and-find, as well as the initial design challenge are lumped in here. In general, people did well with these – with a few outliers.

Feedback on the Color Assignment

Assignments were scored on a 3 point scale: (0=no hand in, 1=handed in something, 2=met requirements, 3=showed some knowledge)

Feedback on the Re-Design Handins

You’ll get a narrative from both MC and I. He will assign detailed grades.

Overall, these fall in a narrow band from “good” to “very good” – different ones were good in different ways (some had more thoughtful discussion, some had more creative ideas, …).

Previous post:

Next post: