Being Clearer About Programming Puzzles

by Mike Gleicher on October 16, 2015

in Assignments,News

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough about process – but as we move into the second puzzle and wrap up the first, I should probably try again.

1. If you don’t get the puzzle at first, you are expected to keep trying – after you see the other solutions, the discussion in class, have questions answered, … Right now, my preference is that you leave your old solution (but say “there’s a newer one below”) and post the newer one separately.
  2. Part of this assignment is to collaborate with others. If you get it, answer other people’s questions and review other people’s solutions. You’ll learn from it – and you’ll give useful feedback to others.
  3. Canvas discussions are not a great mechanism for this. But it’s what we have right now. You can edit your old posts (or reply to them) to say that a question has been answered, or that you figured things out, or that you have a new and improved version.
  4. There is an expectation that everyone should make multiple posts. The first post (either a question or a solution) is just the start. There should be discussions (either helping or getting help), commentary (giving feedback), and revised versions (either making your non-complete assignment work, or your working assignment better).

I have no way to force the collaborative learning aspects. But I am going to try to encourage it.

Previous post:

Next post: