Reading Assignments

by Mike Gleicher on September 2, 2015

in Info and Policies

Each week, I will ask you to read something about an aspect of Javascript and/or Web Programming.

I will give you “required” readings. These are a minimal set – it’s enough, but I encourage you to find more.

Beyond the Minimum: One aspect of web programming is that the web really is the best resource for it (usually). Books and traditional media don’t evolve as quickly, don’t provide the diversity of viewpoints, and often aren’t the preferred venues of the "real experts." (If you’re an expert programmer, you might be too busy to write a book, but willing to share your expertise). There are downsides to getting information from the web (how do you know you can trust it?), but to be honest books have this issue too. Except that if its a blog and its wrong, a lot of commenters will point out the problems and the author can update it.

For this class, I want to encourage you to seek information on the web. Part of learning to web program is to learn what the good resources are and how to find what you need. I want this to be a collaborative experience where everyone shares the things they find. What I have found is just that: what I have found. Each student in class will find more. Together, as a large team, we’ll find a lot.

Even if you know the topic, you can always find something new to learn about it. So do some reading. If you’re already an expert on a topic, find some more advanced reading about it. Or read a less advanced thing so you can contrast the author’s point of view with your own.

If you find a great resource on a topic that you think others should read, there will be a separate “recommended resources” discussion forum for listing it (this is not the same as the place for you to put your reading discussion). If you list something, please put an URL so we can find it, and tell us a little bit about it (including why you like it so much).

Discussion: With each reading, there will be a required discussion. You will be asked a question to guide your response. You have to make your initial posting before you can see anyone else’s, but after that, you can read and respond to your classmates’ postings. (You will be divided into groups online, so you won’t see the whole class). Making an initial posting that addresses the prompt question is required each week. Reading other people’s responses (and having a discussion) is optional – but you will get a lot more out of class by participating this way.

There are a bunch of reasons why I am asking you to do these reading discussions:

1. You will learn more from the readings if you are forced to think about them, and to articulate things from them.
  2. Discussing things is a good way to help solidify the concepts.
  3. It’s a way for me to check that you’re doing the work.

Grading: Check/No Check. The minimal thing is to provide a list of what you read, and a sentence or two of assessment and overview of what you read. And, to be honest, given that this class has no grading resources, my checking of this will be minimal. I may spot check them from time to time, but overall, if you decide to "cheat" by just making a garbage post, you will probably get away with it from a grading perspective. However, taking the reading, reflection, and conversation part seriously will greatly enhance the amount that you’ll learn. (really! writing and discussing will help you internalize what you’ve read) And, since these are forums seen by your classmates, hopefully there is some peer pressure to not say silly things 🙂

There is no official reward for doing a better than minimal job (this is a pass-fail class). But if you take the effort to write, think and discuss, your reward will be better learning outcomes. And probably the appreciation of your classmates who see what you’ve written.

Overall Grading: To pass (this is a pass/fail class) you need to have completed at least 75% of the readings (which means making a non-bogus posting to the forum for that assignment). And your initial postings should be on-time, most of the time. (so you can’t just go back and write 12 postings the last week of class). Note: you must also get a passing score in other parts of the class as well.

On-Time Policy: Officially, the deadline is hard (see grading above). I want you to do the reading (and the initial posting) by the date required. This is always a Monday (before Tuesday) so you’ll have read the material for class. Of course, I’d rather you do the reading late than not at all, but its really best if you keep up with the reading.

I will leave the  Don’t wait too long to make your first posting, because I might close a discussion without notice.

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post: